Monday 14 May 2018

Exhibition #4 Brisbane 2018


In the blink of an eye, it seems a whole year has passed by since I debuted my layout at last year's Brisbane Model Train Show. Returning to the RNA Showgrounds in the inner Brisbane suburb of Herston for the 2018 edition, seemed like a case of deva ju. The only difference to the drive down from the Sunshine Coast each day coming courtesy of the weekend coinciding with Eurovision and the playlist that Denise and I had compiled of our favourite Eurovision songs from the past few years blaring in our car.

That's me behind the layout trying to copy the pose of Philden's mascot, while Craig demonstrates some scratch-building techniques at the table next to me.

Once more the Brisbane Model Train Show was held in The Marquee, which as Brisbane show-goers will testify translates to a big tent with semi-permanent roof. With the asphalt floor also doubling as Sideshow Alley for the 2 weeks that the Brisbane Ekka is held each year, setting up in this venue is always tricky on account of the sloping floor, and clubs and individuals such as myself are always scrambling for blocks of wood to level up our layouts during the Friday afternoon set-up.

What 2018 did bring however, was a bumper crowd for the opening day on Saturday. At one point there were no less than 20 people crowded around my small layout vying for a view. Or they might have been trying to catch a glimpse of what was going on next to me, as fellow blogger, champion and all-round good bloke Craig Mackie manned the AMRA scratch-building demonstration table. You couldn't ask to be set-up beside a nicer person for the weekend, and I'm not just saying that because Craig scratch-built one of his famous Hills-Hoist clotheslines for me to add to Philden at some point in the near future. Read his blog post and you'll see he fulfilled requests for no less than 11 clotheslines that day!

Looking over the Model Train Buildings trade stand at the full length of the venue.

Sunday afternoon quietened down noticeably after the lunch time rush, and though it was a quieter day on account of it being Mothers Day, everybody agreed the numbers were up compared to the 2 days last year. Everyone who mentioned that they were readers of my blog were given a sneak peak behind the scenes at the new scene that is being constructed. While a special shout-out goes to regular reader Mike, who flew all the way from Dunedin, New Zealand, to spend the weekend visiting family, and come check-out the Brisbane Show!

Despite there only being a handful of Australian model manufactures at this years show, (I noticed only Southern Rail Models, Wuiske Models, SDS and Eureka), there were a number of new cottage craft suppliers to break up the usual retailers, and a number of new layouts to be seen. Amongst my favourites were Stuart & Mardi Walker's Olde Town, and the OO scale replica of Urangan Pier.

I'm keen on trying to include the Wool Shed building flat from Walker Models on my own layout!

Having just started a new waterfront scene myself, I loved the model of the Urangan Pier from Hervey Bay.

I now have a second Brisbane Model Train Show plaque to go on my end layout panel.

Packing up on Sunday was a rush to make it home in time for the Eurovision Final on TV, and a get-together with my kids to celebrate my 46th Birthday. The show ended at 4 pm and by 4.15 we were driving out of the venue for the trip back up to the Sunshine Coast. The changes I've made to the new extension on my layout have made it easier to set-up and pack-down. So with the knowledge that we are going to do all this again in just 3 weeks time for the Toowoomba Model Train and Hobby Expo, we headed back up the Bruce Highway with Eurovision songs blaring in the Mondeo, and a fourth exhibition for Philden in the rear view mirror.

My birthday present from my son Brandon and his girlfriend Lisa was this cool steam train wine bottle holder!

Although we cheered Jessica Mauboy on in the Eurovision Final on Sunday night, unfortunately Australia received the least votes from the TV audience. I personally loved her song, but I also loved the gifts my kids gave me, including the metal steam train wine bottle holder you can see above. Not only that, but my daughter ensured I'll have some new shirts to pack for when Denise and I head on our road trip for the Toowoomba Show in 3 weeks time. The layout stayed in the car for Sunday night, before Monday morning it was once more trudged up five flights of stairs and reassembled in place over my desk.

With another three shows to take Philden to in 2018, I've promised Denise that there will just be one that we'll take my layout to in 2019. So for now, 2018 might well be the last appearance Philden makes at the Brisbane Model Train Show for quite some time. Now, to get some small tweaks done in time for Philden's next outing. But as usual, I'll let them be stories for another day.

See also; Exhibition #1 Brisbane Beginnings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit Philden. I hope you'll book a return ticket soon. Cheers, Phil