Monday 3 January 2022

Bookshelf Layout Book Launch!

Another year... and another new book!


After a busy Christmas and New Year's break, I can finally announce the release of my first All-Australian model railway book! Build a Bookshelf Layout is available now to kick-off what I hope will be a fantastic 2022.



Five years in the making, this 72 page colour instructional book is a great starting place for newcomers and old-heads alike to read before constructing their next model railway project. A good finish begins at the start, and I've often found that overseas books offer little beyond a trackplan and some diagrams that leave you floundering to work out why your finished layout doesn't resemble the masterpiece shown on the cover. This book is the opposite! Its' hands-on, step-by-step approach is designed to fast-track your skills and enjoyment, without learning what works, and what doesn't, the hard way!


There's over 40 years experience laid-out inside, more than 70 photos and enough informative text that will talk you through what you need to consider on the way to constructing an enjoyable small model railway layout. The book covers the planning process, benchwork construction, painting and layout presentation, lighting and basic track laying skills that all result in a rewarding model railway experience.

Two more books covering scenery and trackside tips will also be available in 2022. Build a Bookshelf Layout is to the best of my knowledge, the first Australian model railway how-to book to hit the market.

The book will set you back $21.95 Australian + postage for the 6" x 9" printed version direct from the publisher Blurb, or you may pester your local hobby store and they may just stock it for you. All my books are also available to download as eBooks direct through Blurb or the Apple store, with prices starting from $5.99 AUD.


  


It was an idea that I first nutted-out while exhibiting my Australian HO layout Philden between 2017-2019. During the 8 exhibitions I took the layout to, I was inevitably asked time and time again, "how did you do this", as countless members of the public pointed to various items on the layout. While I answered as best I could given the limited time I had available between questions, I ended up printing business cards with the address of this blog to hand out. The writer in me however, was already pondering how I could layout a book that would serve as a guide to fast-track new modellers to build an exhibition quality layout of their own. And that is what this first book is all about, avoiding losing someone from the hobby because they can't seem to progress beyond the poke-your-train to get it to move Plywood Central, that does nothing for anyone's enjoyment.


So while I busy myself on working on the second book, I'm also working behind the scenes contacting various outlets and bookstores who may be interested in stocking the title. Time and work-wise, it has been a huge investment. More so on account of the work I've turned away from our small business to accommodate the time needed to write and produce this book myself. As most businessfolk will attest, I'm so heavily invested into making this next project successful, that it's become impossible to walk away from.


The best way I can ask for support, is to put out a call to share or like this post, follow me on Facebook and recommend the book to your friends, club and local hobby store. Purchasing direct online from Blurb offers bulk purchasing discounts from ordering as little as 10 copies, and if you're in one of the many Facebook model railway groups that I'm a member of, watch out today for a special advance copy offer.


Now... I must get back to working on my layout. I have a DCC system to wire up and track to lay for the staging yard!


Cheers,

Phill O

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit Philden. I hope you'll book a return ticket soon. Cheers, Phil