Monday 12 September 2022

Weathered by Philden Showcase 9

Rusted open wagons is the theme of this latest update. Fresh back from an outback Australian holiday, and with a big announcement to make in the coming week, here are some of my latest HO scale model railway wagons I have weathered...


These bright yellow SDS Models WGX West Australian open wagons were fun to rust up.

The rust texture took days to build-up using various acrylic mediums.

Ensuring no two wagons look the same is the key. This one is very, heavily rusted...

...while this WGX wagon with the smaller WAGR logo is only just beginning to have rust spots form.

By comparison, this Auscison Models ROCY National Rail wagon wears only a light coat of grime.


There are now over 70 of my weathered wagons available for sale through my eBay page. I've now hit the 100 models weathered target I had set myself for an upcoming book, and can now commence sorting through the 1,000+ photos I took at each and every step along the way. I needed the covers for my next two Philden Model Railway Presents titles to be finalised before the end of this year, so a lot of the models that I have been showcasing here will appear in one of my next releases. If you'd like to buy one, then now is your best time. Prices are based on the individual retail cost of the model, plus paints, labour and fees/taxes.

With other writing projects about to commence, I won't be able to weather this many models again within such a short time frame. I'll only be posting a couple more weathering showcase blog updates before getting on with some real modelling. So even if you aren't interested in buying any of my handiwork, I hope you've enjoyed viewing some of it just the same.

I've now passed the 100 models weathered mark, each accompanied with a signed certificate.

For my own record...
Models sold 35/103

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit Philden. I hope you'll book a return ticket soon. Cheers, Phil