Wednesday 2 November 2022

A 48 Down South?


What's a Pac Nat 48 doing that far south I hear you say? Relax, I'm not changing eras or relocating Philden Street Yard away from it's inner Melbourne location. I just happened to have fellow modeller and good friend Anthony Veness bring his 48 Class down for a run in 'The Yard', and thought I'd shoot a short video of it in action on my layout.


Sometimes it's nice to just see something different running on your layout. The little 48 Class lent it's size quite well to the confines of Philden Street Yard. With a roster full of big locos like the ex-Victorian Railways A's, B's and soon to arrive C Class, not to mention the monster NR Classes, I think I have enough big locos on my switching layout. The 48 only highlighted that I don't need another biggie in my fleet. So sorry G Class fans. I don't think I'll be adding one to my layout now. Perhaps I'll just wait until a new release of sound equipped T or Y Class locos to become available in the future.

48162 is nicely turned out in its new Pacific National colours.

Like the 48 Class I once had, the windows are heavily tinted, which is something I don't really like.

Beside the NR Class locos, the 48 Class looks tiny by comparrison!

So there you have it. That's what a Pacific National livered locomotive would look like in Philden Street Yard. Having had a turn shunting some container wagons into place at the brewery, 48162 can now return to Southern New South Wales on the next northbound freight out of Dynon, and get back to work hauling grain trains west of Cootamundra.

I hope you enjoyed the video on my YouTube channel. I have a few more I'd like to make before the year is out as my layout is now nearing completion. Then next year it will be onto some other project. Until next time, take care. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit Philden. I hope you'll book a return ticket soon. Cheers, Phil