Thursday 24 November 2022

Weathered by Philden Showcase 11


Now to wrap up my final showcase of models I have weathered during the course of 2022. Along with weathering my own fleet of model railway rollingstock, I also weathered a further 105 models which I made available for sale through my eBay page. Why? Simply because I couldn't have the weathering book that I will produce next year filled only with whatever you'll find running on my small switching layout.


There are 40+ weathered models still available through the link at the bottom of this post, plus a further 60+ mostly Australian models that I either don't need to weather now that I have enough material for the book, or am just selling now that I have a core roster for my layout. As I've scrapped plans indefinitely to start another layout beyond Philden Street Yard, it's just become too much money tied up in projects. Some domestic grain hoppers were the final aquisition for 'The Yard', while a sound equipped 81 Class or BL Class locomotive next year remain the only further models I'm interested in. That won't happen however until I've put all the money I outlayed for my weathering project back into our holiday account.

This SDS Models NSW BHG Guards Van converted into a works vehicle was one of my finest efforts.

These long sold out Auscision Models NSW NLKY's were going to be for myself, until I deemed that I already had enough louvered vans for my switching layout.

And another NLKY van with subtle differences in the weathering and rust spots.

Another SDS Models NSWGR way & works van, this time the yellow Electrical Branch Van.

An Austrains NSW KKG Horse Box van with a very dirty navy roof.

And another Austrains KKG Horse Box. I now think I've done enough of these!

I'd like to say I learnt a few new tricks along the way. However, there were just so many long established methods of weathering rollingstock that continue to work well without needing to reinvent the wheel. Practice it seems is still the key to pleasing results. My end opinion is that the best results are often derived from trying to correct mistakes. Perhaps the extra time we put into bringing a model back from the brink of disaster is what sets it apart from the rest.

While it was a fun-filled three month long project to attempt, I'd like to think I'm done with weathering models for the forseeable future! I've garnered enough material for what I'd now like to write, and only need to move on the remaining 40 or so models that are occupying space in my study. I'm sure in time they'll all disappear, but... if you'd like to add a model to your collection I wouldn't hesitate before the year is through or you might miss out!

There's 100+ models both new and weathered available while they last!

Thanks for browsing through my collection of weathered models. I thought sharing the pictures here may be of interest to some, and I'll need a full book to explain how I was able to achieve results like these. The best thing about placing the pictures up on my blog, is that I'll have a record of some of the models that won't make it into the book.

And once more, these C.O.A. ensures you are getting a genuine weathered by Philden model.

For my own record...
Models sold 57/105

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit Philden. I hope you'll book a return ticket soon. Cheers, Phil