Friday 21 July 2023

Weathered Wonders Book Launch!

Book launch #22 Party time! Model Railway Weathered Wonders is available now!


It's the one dirty book you won't get in trouble for leaving on the coffee table, and I haven't let the fact that there's now a few of these famous book launch platters in the rear view mirror, stop me from throwing another book launch out on the table. After more than a year of writing and weathering over 180 models to select the best examples to showcase in this book, Model Railway Weathered Wonders today takes its place on my bookshelf alongside the four other Philden Model Railway books. I now have one more such book to produce before the series is concluded. But before I start work on the next one.... it's time to pop some bubbles and celebrate seeing this book come to fruition.


Available now through Blurb


This may very well go down as the most expensive book I've ever produced! With no advertising, sponsorship or go-fund-me page, the outlay for the models shown within the covers literally ran into the thousands before I even turned on my airbrush compressor, picked up a camera or typed a single word.


Just as copies of Model Railway Backdrop Basics are hitting the shelves at my long-time loyal supporters and good friends at Trainworld in Melbourne and Australian Modeller in Sydney, the printers are busy filling my orders for the next shipment of books which include Model Railway Weathered Wonders along with a restock of my past titles. As a writer it's a nice problem to have.


For those after the electronic version which is available as an instant .pdf download, Blurb have it for just $8.99, (along with the paperback), and you're also able to preview the first 15 pages to get a feel of what you're paying for.


I get asked why people can't find my books at their local hobby store in other states, and the sad answer is that despite years of contacting each and every hobby shop and bookstore in the country each time I release a new book, some stores just aren't in a position to support an independent author outside of their approved vendor lists and use of existing distribution chains. They are terms that I'm familiar with by now, as is the idea of placing my books on consignment and being reimbursed only if they sell, (been there, done that). With my past experiences of having stores suddenly go into liquidation and losing all my stock overnight, it's simply something I no longer do. So please support the stores that are supporting me, and if you're not able to find my books at your local hobby shop or bookstore, then by all means order a copy online rather than hope that one day they might eventually turn up.


The title and cover of my final book is revealed inside the back cover of Model Railway Weathered Wonders, so if you're curious as to what it will be, you'll just have to buy a copy. Anyway, break open the cheese and crackers, pop some bubbles and enjoy a virtual book launch with me for your Friday afternoon knock off.


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit Philden. I hope you'll book a return ticket soon. Cheers, Phil