Sunday 27 March 2022

Working The Yard D3-639



Well, this may go down as the best addition I could possibly have made to Philden Street Yard's small roster! The Phoenix Reproductions and SDS Models D3 Victorian Railways preserved steam locomotive No. 639 has hit the rails for the first time this week, and it looks and sounds gorgeous! After being tempted with the Auscision STEAMRAIL preserved Victorian passenger cars as I explained in a previous post, I chanced upon a now sold-out model of the STEAMRAIL as-preserved No. 639 listed on Metro Hobbies' on eBay shop. They must have just received the last remaining models available and listed them on a day that eBay happened to have a 20% off deal on selected Toys & Hobbies. There were six of the DCC sound equipped 639's available, and by next morning they were all gone!


Somehow over the course of deciding what locos in my collection I would convert to DCC sound, and which ones I would just move on, I've ended up with a sound equipped steam locomotive hauled 3 car STEAMRAIL tour train that will require the occasional overnight stabling in Philden Street Yard. As you can tell by the speed of which I produced a short video clip on my YouTube Channel, I'm absolutely blown away by this model!

2 comments:

  1. Great addition Phil. Steam adds a new dimension, and I think you are right to have #639 on the roster, rather than another growl box. And the sound of the whistle is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rob! I totally agree. Having an as-preserved steam loco to match my modern themed layout is the best of both worlds.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit Philden. I hope you'll book a return ticket soon. Cheers, Phil