Monday 28 November 2022

Philden Street Yard Episode 6


Well... Philden Street is now on the final stretch towards being complete! Twelve months after my Secret Project PV3 cryptic posts revealed the new inner Melbourne switching layout I was building, the namesake Philden Street overpass is in place and the Restaurant tram is standing above the railway tracks to give this layout a sense of time and place. It seems that nothing screams Melbourne more than a Melbourne tram!


After 12 months of only photographing beneath the overpass, it's time to complete Philden Street!

Inbetween the before and after images I have shared here, there is a 7 minute video montage of how I built this scene on the YouTube link at the top of this post. I wanted to see what I could sneak into my next book Model Railway Scenery Secrets, but this urban street scene also leant itself really well for a video update for Episode 6.

The tram tracks and plate girder sides are in place, I can then add all the extra detail later.

Philden Street can now be completed with finer details, populated with people and have overhead tram wires strung at a later date. The two structures that stand high above Philden Street Yard can now be completed infront of the TV over the summer as I joked about in the video, all while watching some cricket in the comfort of airconditioning.

The two buildings I am going to have a little fun with. They are both Walker Models laser-cut buildings manufactured right here in Queensland, Australia, and as you can see, the Fish n' Chip and Tackle shops have already been cut in half and are ready to have the interior detailed and transformed into a one-of-a-kind storefront that is sure to draw some attention. It's the first building I will complete. As I'm an Author, I'll leave you to figure out just what it might be. Although I may or may not have let the secret slip in my video above... I honestly can't remember.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit Philden. I hope you'll book a return ticket soon. Cheers, Phil